[Tfug] Switches -- and hubs!

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 7 14:12:47 MST 2009

Hi Zack,

> > However, even with this approach, it can also make sense
> > to use different switches/hubs for different drops.  E.g.,
> > those drops servicing VoIP phones can be handled by a
> > 10Mbps *hub* (uses less power than a 10M switch, typically).
>
> You sure about the power there?  My hunch is that modern gigabit
> equipment might be more efficient and use less power than older 10 or
> 100Mbit equipment because the chips are smaller/newer/designed with
> better efficiency in mind.

But, to be fair, wouldn't you be comparing *newer* 10/100 switches
(or hubs -- if they even make them) with newer Gb switches?
Apples/Apples?

E.g., the TE100-S80g uses 2.5W whereas the TEG-S80g uses 5W.
(granted, this might be Apples/Persimmons...)

While this doesn't seem like much, a couple of watts / hour
at 365/24/7 is almost 20KWHr over the course of a year that
could be saved just by "picking" the right device for the
job.  Assuming you had to support 16 ports, you are probably
looking at 1.5 - 2X that figure.

And, that's just so you *can* use the wires...