[Tfug] Switches -- and hubs!

Zack Williams zdwzdw at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 06:46:07 MST 2009

> However, even with this approach, it can also make sense
> to use different switches/hubs for different drops.  E.g.,
> those drops servicing VoIP phones can be handled by a
> 10Mbps *hub* (uses less power than a 10M switch, typically).

You sure about the power there?  My hunch is that modern gigabit
equipment might be more efficient and use less power than older 10 or
100Mbit equipment because the chips are smaller/newer/designed with
better efficiency in mind.

The only circumstantial evidence I would have for this is that you can
buy a new 8-port "green" gigabit switch from D-Link or Trendnet that
comes with a 5V 2A (10W) power brick, whereas I have older 8-port
10/100 switches that take 12V 1.5A (18W) or 5V 3A (15W) bricks.

- Zack