[Tfug] iPods

Nathan England nathan at paysonlinux.org
Mon Aug 31 00:17:04 MST 2009

> Hey Nathan! This is too funny! We seem to be *bumping into each other* on
> here frequently. :)
>
> My wife bought me an 8gb Touch for Christmas last year. It is also
> principally a tool for me, since I am constantly using the handwritten
> Chinese character recognition for dictionary lookup and it has saved me
> hours of page turning in dictionaries and greatly sped up my Chinese
> reading, and thereby, my learning as well. (I already speak and read
> Chinese, but any language is a life-time in learning...)
>
> Well, all you have to have is a set up ear buds for the iPhone, and you can
> record on the Touch, and you can use Skype. I have done it a number of times
> while traveling. Just find a wireless connection... and voila! a convenient
> call home to my wife! I love it.
>
> So you were looking for an excuse, right? hahahaha
>
> Sadly, though, you have to have iTunes, *if* you want to *delete  *music off
> your device. I don't use it for music, however, but I do use it for pod
> casts. You can download podcasts, video and so on, and also delete it,
> without having iTunes.
>
> There are a number of programs that allow you to move files back and forth
> just using wireless and your web browser. I use this for recorded files on
> my Touch, to move them to my Linux box through Firefox.
>
> For regular iPod devices, I use Floola-linux. I use this for my wife's Nano,
> and it works great. The little Nano has never been plugged into iTunes at
> any time, or into a Windows box for that matter. I know there are some other
> programs, but Floola seems to be geared very specifically for Apple iPod
> devices. Sadly, the whole new usb protocol for the iPhone/Touch means it's
> either jail break, or find a way to hook it up to iTunes for firmware
> upgrades and what-not. I borrowed a friends computer when he was busy with
> other things and used iTunes to upgrade to the 3.0 version of the iPhone OS.
> I really am enjoying the new ability to Copy/Paste.
>
> Matthew

My primary phone now is using my skypeout, so having a device that I could use to make calls and receive calls without using my laptop would be really nice. I'm considering a skype wifi phone... But we'll see. I cannot justify spending any money on an iPhone or Touch if I'll have to use windows. I do not have windows, nor any real access to a windows machine that I could do anything with it if I had to. If I cannot plug the device in and copy my ogg files to it, I really don't want it!

I'm mentioning this because I'm hoping someone else has lots of ogg files and uses some media player device to listen to their ogg files without converting them to something else.
Not so much on this list, but what I have found on most other "linux" user lists, most of the users are windows people with a partition that is occasionally booted with linux... So finding another linux user with input, and especially about ogg files, I have not found yet!

nathan

--

Nathan England
nathan at paysonlinux.org