[Tfug] iPods

Matthew Patenaude mnglfiddle at gmail.com
Sun Aug 30 21:19:36 MST 2009

On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 9:10 AM, Nathan England <nathan at paysonlinux.org>wrote:

> On Sunday 30 August 2009 04:21:51 pm Jordan Aberle wrote:
> > I love my iPod touch :)
> >
> > Sent from my iPod
> >
> > On Aug 30, 2009, at 1:32 PM, "Stott, Will"
> > <will.stott at ventana.roche.com> wrote:
> >
> > > In the end, you will fall to the dark side...
> > >
> > > Give in, and save your self the pain.
> > >
> > > Will

Hey Nathan! This is too funny! We seem to be *bumping into each other* on
here frequently. :)

My wife bought me an 8gb Touch for Christmas last year. It is also
principally a tool for me, since I am constantly using the handwritten
Chinese character recognition for dictionary lookup and it has saved me
hours of page turning in dictionaries and greatly sped up my Chinese
reading, and thereby, my learning as well. (I already speak and read
Chinese, but any language is a life-time in learning...)

Well, all you have to have is a set up ear buds for the iPhone, and you can
record on the Touch, and you can use Skype. I have done it a number of times
while traveling. Just find a wireless connection... and voila! a convenient
call home to my wife! I love it.

So you were looking for an excuse, right? hahahaha

Sadly, though, you have to have iTunes, *if* you want to *delete  *music off
your device. I don't use it for music, however, but I do use it for pod
casts. You can download podcasts, video and so on, and also delete it,
without having iTunes.

There are a number of programs that allow you to move files back and forth
just using wireless and your web browser. I use this for recorded files on
my Touch, to move them to my Linux box through Firefox.

For regular iPod devices, I use Floola-linux. I use this for my wife's Nano,
and it works great. The little Nano has never been plugged into iTunes at
any time, or into a Windows box for that matter. I know there are some other
programs, but Floola seems to be geared very specifically for Apple iPod
devices. Sadly, the whole new usb protocol for the iPhone/Touch means it's
either jail break, or find a way to hook it up to iTunes for firmware
upgrades and what-not. I borrowed a friends computer when he was busy with
other things and used iTunes to upgrade to the 3.0 version of the iPhone OS.
I really am enjoying the new ability to Copy/Paste.

Matthew