[Tfug] USB Hubs

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 30 11:34:35 MST 2009

Argh!  I've lost my second USB (2.0) hub this year.
Is this just bad luck on my part?  Or, are these
things known to be cheap/flakey/disposable?  Or,
do I perhaps need to mount it someplace where it
can better dissipate heat (I have it fastened to
the underside of my work table so the connectors
are convenient for plugging thumb drives, etc.)

Both were 4 port hubs.  Different manufacturers
(though no idea what chipset was used in each).
Aside from thumb drives, I rarely use much
"current" from any of the ports (i.e., if I
plug in something "larger" -- like a scanner -- that
item tends to have its own power supply and doesn't
need power from the hub).

I'd like to know what to expect before repeating this
adventure with yet another "sacrifice"  :-(

Thx,
--don