[Tfug] sound on linux

Nathan England nathan at paysonlinux.org
Fri Aug 28 01:09:37 MST 2009

On Thursday 27 August 2009 01:46:13 pm christopher floess wrote:
> Hi everyone, I'm on archlinux, and I've recently zapped my rc.conf and
> I've since had no sound.
>
> Does anyone know the best way to troubleshoot this? I've gone through
> the archwiki for alsa http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ALSA, but
> that still has left me without sound.
>
> For the life of me, I can't figure out where I went wrong when I configured it.
>
> For what it's worth, I have a thinkpad t61, and I've taken all of the
> thinkpad specific instructions into account. Maybe I missed something.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help ~ Chris

You can run hwdetect --load-modules
hwdetect --show-sound if you want to see what needs to be loaded...

Here is mine if you want to copy...

#
# /etc/rc.conf
#

LOCALE="en_US"
HARDWARECLOCK="UTC"
TIMEZONE="America/Phoenix"
KEYMAP="us"
USECOLOR="yes"

MODULES=(acpi-cpufreq cpufreq_ondemand cpufreq_powersave cpufreq_stats cpufreq_conservative cpufreq_userspace freq_table)
AUTOMODS=(ac battery button processor thermal video cdrom agpgart intel-agp i2c-i801 pcspkr serio_raw uvcvideo v4l1-compat videodev ricoh_mmc sdhci sdhci-pci pci_hotplug shpchp wmi iTCO_vendor_support iTCO_wdt snd-mixer-oss snd-pcm-oss snd-seq-oss snd-seq-device snd-seq snd-seq-midi-event snd-hwdep snd snd-page-alloc snd-pcm snd-rawmidi snd-timer snd-pcsp snd-hda-codec snd-hda-intel soundcore pata_acpi r8169 mac80211 iwl3945 iwlcore cfg80211 lib80211 snd-usb-audio snd-usb-lib ieee1394 ohci1394 sr_mod )

HOSTNAME="pavilion.paysonlinux.org"
lo="lo 127.0.0.1"
eth0="dhcp"
INTERFACES=(lo eth0)
gateway=""
ROUTES=()

DAEMONS=(syslog-ng dbus hal network networkmanager sshd mysqld cups alsa avahi-daemon avahi-dnsconfd iptables sensors crond httpd acpid )

# End of file

--

Nathan England
nathan at paysonlinux.org