[Tfug] sound on linux

John Gruenenfelder johng at as.arizona.edu
Thu Aug 27 23:13:56 MST 2009

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 01:46:13PM -0700, christopher floess wrote:
>Hi everyone, I'm on archlinux, and I've recently zapped my rc.conf and
>I've since had no sound.
>
>Does anyone know the best way to troubleshoot this? I've gone through
>the archwiki for alsa http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ALSA, but
>that still has left me without sound.
>
>For the life of me, I can't figure out where I went wrong when I configured
>it.
>
>For what it's worth, I have a thinkpad t61, and I've taken all of the
>thinkpad specific instructions into account. Maybe I missed something.
>
>Thanks in advance for any help ~ Chris

If you've already verified the modules are loaded and everything is unmuted, I
would recommend using 'aplay' to help you debug.

Well, first I would check 'dmesg' output to see if the modules wrote any
useful messages to the log, *then* test with aplay.

aplay can be useful because you can specify which card and pcm device to use
and can then increase the verbosity level.  It's not meant to be a debug
utility, but I found its direct control and verbose output useful when trying
to get my Bluetooth headphones to work properly.

--
--John Gruenenfelder    Systems Manager, MKS Imaging Technology, LLC.
Try Weasel Reader for PalmOS  --  http://weaselreader.org