[Tfug] Let's play "ID this code"! (serious issue actually)

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 23 17:27:55 MST 2009

> > But are there any FOSS tools available that'll take apart these
> > databases I have now?
>
> Here's some really rough perl code to pull a table out of
> the ODBC datasource, and put it into a CSV file.  It's ripped
> straight from a
> project I did a while ago, so it's likely incomplete.

[snip]

As a *first* step, I would ascertain just what tables exist
in the database and their potential relationships BEFORE
trying to extract any data.  Unless it is a *single* table,
chances are, knowing how those tables relate to each other
is important in determining what actual data you have!

E.g., see which views exist and any other foreign key
relationships so you don't end up with a bunch of "unrelated"
data that you struggle to piece *back* together, later!