[Tfug] OS written in Assembly

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 20 12:32:02 MST 2009

Hi Jordan,

> Something like this would have be more
> useful 20 years ago when space was more of an issue.
>  Still, it is quite an accomplishment.  How many people
> can say they have written a network aware OS in
> assembly?

How many can say they have written an *OS*?!  ;-)

> The idea of this being used in parking meters is very
> interesting, why not light bulbs?  1mb OS with ipv6 support
> running for every light bulb in the US to let a server know
> when it's about to go out so a replacement can be
> shipped before it goes out? hmmm

ZigBee targets this sort of application.  Though I don't
think it would *monitor* individual bulbs.  Rather, is
is typically used to *control* (commercial/industrial -- and
soon residential) loads.  So, your "X10 wireless modules"
that rely on PLC will eventually be replaced with ZigBee
-enabled light switches.

Conceivably, one could add (in commercial applications,
no doubt) electronics to characterize the current load
on the switch and, once "taught" (which can be as simple
as "this is what the normal load looks like"), the
control can report changes in the load to "whatever".

[ZigBee is intended to run on *very* low power as a result
of use in very low duty cycle applications -- how often
do you have to talk to a light switch??  :>]