[Tfug] OT: Battery Powered Transportation: Converting Thermal to Electrical Energy

Marco Savo savomarco at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 21:25:10 MST 2009

I didn't understand this topic.
Did you learn anything from Homer Simpson?
What I know is:
If the electricity was going to be produced only with nuclear energy, there
is enough uranium only for 4 years of electricity production.
After the Chernobyl explosion, a study from the World Health Organization
shows that the radiation created a modification of the human genome for at
least 20 generations (then the study was censored by the International
Atomic *Energy Agency* (IAEA) <http://www.iaea.org/> )
After it has started, one nuclear power plant will run at 90%  of capacity
all the time, and the electricity consumption is never at the same level
The waste produced from a nuclear power plant should be kept 1000 years away
from humans, in Germany they put it in a salt cave, the salt corroded the
containers already and now they have radioactive water..
A nuclear power plant is subjected to small incidents quite often, the
neighboring population is subjected to radiation
If you search on the internet about the nuclear power plant that is in
Arizona, you'll find that it is the biggest in the US, subjected to small
incidents, and someone even tried to put a bomb there. It wasn't al quaida,
but someone laid off...
Nuclear energy is only convenient because it is subsidized by the
government, here as in France etc. the same material for the bombs is used
to create electricity
Instead of creating a military application that is then converted for civil
use (nuclear energy, internet), why don't we try to do something directly
for civil use?
why don't we spend resources and money for nuclear fusion that is clean and
doesn't produce radioactive waste?

My old family car, an old Fiat Panda, consumed less gasoline than a Toyota
Prius. Sure, it is small, not so safe, but here people go  around on motor
bikes without any protection...
Also in Europe we have cars that run on natural gas, metane, diesel etc.
that are four times more convenient than a prius...