[Tfug] OT: Battery Powered Transportation: Converting Thermal to Electrical Energy

Charles R. Kiss charles at kissbrothers.com
Thu Aug 6 18:06:11 MST 2009

Thank you Bexley,

> I think the fallacy in the "article" you cite is the premise
> that *all* transportation energy needs will be replaced with
> electricity.

The article I cite is my own.

Firstly, the motive for electric vehicle transport is to make a
significant impact on the consumption of hydrocarbon fuel by the
transportation sector, ie. foreign fuel, perhaps using low-emission energy
such as windmills, nuclear plants, etc.

Secondly, the context of the article are the three orders of magnitude: 1)
using only 10% (not *all*) of the transportation sector hydrocarbon energy
consumption -converted to electricity WITHOUT ANY loss, 2) and again, on
the consumption side, another order where vehicles are about 10 times more
efficient than they are today, and 3) on the production side, that
hypothetical nuclear power plants have ten times their current output.

All three orders to the *benefit* of the "electric vehicle argument" have
to be unargued for electric vehicles to be a rational form of
transportation.

I could've just as well argued, without the three orders, that there are
needed 5,000 x 1,000 nuclear power plants.

----

Also, moving electricity does have costs, called "loss of transmission" as
does moving liquid fuel.  I disbelieve either of these losses are
significant considering the context of the article (the three orders),
being that it doesn't take several semitrailers of fuel to transport a
semitrailer of fuel across the country.

Is my math wrong, my assumptions??

Perhaps there is an argument that battery powered vehicles will soon be
thousands of times more efficient; I see no other.

Please enlighten me,
Charles
--

This message and any attachments may contain information that is
privileged or confidential, and is intended solely for the addressee.  If