[Tfug] Qwest Motorola 3347

Rich r-lists at studiosprocket.com
Thu Aug 6 07:21:48 MST 2009

Angus,

On Aug 5, 2009, at 10:19 am, Angus Scott-Fleming wrote:

> On 5 Aug 2009 at 7:35, Rich  wrote:
>
>> So are you saying you have one or more of these, and you *can*
>> talk  on the
>> LAN?
>
> I have a client who has one, but he has a Cisco Firewall/VPN router
> "inside"
> it, AND a 24-port network switch inside THAT, so his LAN doesn't
> route through
> the Motorola.  Rather than beating my head against the 3347, I
> would probably
> try putting a simple $10-$20 switch inside the router then connect
> everything
> to the switch.  LAN traffic would then not go through the 3347's
> internal
> circuitry.  Of course, if you're using wireless, this won't help :-(

That's exactly my conclusion. While I can copy files using afp (and
more than likely with smb as well), I'm kinda-sorta-okay until I
*need* to do ssh. So if I can't convince Qwest to refund me, I'm
looking for a dedicated wireless/wired router (being unable to
support LAN configuration may be indicative of policy rather than
just a strategically shaved monkey answering the phone).

> Came across this tech note at the Netopia support site:
>
>   Netopia - VLANs (Virtual LAN's) - 3300 Series - CQG_145
>     By default if the VCC1 option (in this case PPP over Ethernet
> VCC1) is not
>     added to any VLAN, all users will be able to get out to the
> internet,
>     unless of course the lan-uplink has been removed. If you add
> the VCC1
>     interface to a VLAN, only that VLAN will be able to get online,
> while the
>     rest will be restricted.
>   http://www.netopia.com/support/hardware/technotes/CQG_145.html
>
> Does this sound like what you're seeing?

Not quite. Strange. When I first created a single VLAN (not two, as I
described yesterday), I added eth0.1 through eth0.4, plus ssid1, plus
vcc1. The others are self-explanatory, but I didn't know what VCC1
is, guessing (correctly) that it's the WAN port. And in my case, I
couldn't reach the WAN any more. That contradicts the second
sentence: "If you add the VCC1 interface to a VLAN, only that VLAN
will be able to get online". I found that to be untrue.

What I have now is what I described yesterday: a VLAN-based
implementation of the default situation.

> Here are some other pages you might find interesting:
>
> http://www.netopia.com/equipment/pdf/manuals/
> SoftwareUserGuideV75Clsc.pdf
>
>     Netopia - 3347 WEU-SC Wireless Residential Series Gateways
>     http://www.netopia.com/support/resources/option_3347wsc.html
Ah look: there's a mention of Enterprise firmware behind the "Feature
Key Installation" link.
http://www.netopia.com/support/hardware/technotes/CQG_039.html

Interesting. Also there's a firmware download for v7.5. I have
"Software Version
QM01-7.7.4r10" -- which is going to be Qwest-specific.

>     Double NAT Issues with Netopia 3347-02/Linksys WRT54GS -
> dslreports.com
>     http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r22257319-Double-NAT-Issues-
> with-Netopia-334702Linksys-WRT54GS
>     or here if the above wraps unusably: http://preview.tinyurl.com/
> mudnqr
Yes -- use it as a DSL modem. That's kinda where I'm heading.
  1. http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,22705056
  2. http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r21372378-

> Search » netopia 3347 - dslreports.com
> http://www.dslreports.com/nsearch?
> boardlist=59&cat=remark&advanced=1&59=1&p=10&o=r&q=netopia+3347
> http://preview.tinyurl.com/mfkase
>
> Take note of this problem -- might not affect you if your firmware
> is new
> enough, this report is from 2007 or 2008, I think:
>
>   New Qwest modem Motorola 3347 - dslreports.com
>     I have the Qwest 3347-02 100Q Motorola (Netopia) DSL gateway
> and I'm using
>     it with my 1.5mb DSL from Qwest.
>
>     Personally, it's fine as far as speed goes but it's not what I
> would call
>     "highly configurable". There's no specific firewall settings
> and the UPnP
>     on it is a bit flaky. Not to mention it's susceptible to a
> widely known
>     DNS hack that's been in the wild for months.
>   http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r20914977-New-Qwest-modem-
> Motorola-3347
>   http://preview.tinyurl.com/l9df5e
>
> Report back, please, as I may have to deal with some of these
> issues for a
> client of mine.

I'm not finding anything about a "widely known DNS hack", but I have
to get out of the house :-) I'll keep looking tomorrow.

Looks like it's fine for the most common types of networking --
Windows and Mac shares will work fine. But as soon as you want to do
anything interesting -- specially ssh -- you're stuck with a modem
that needs an external wireless router. Shame really.

Thanks for all your pointers Angus. You've done what I didn't have
time to do -- I was really hoping for a reply along the lines of "oh
yeah, I had that problem.. here's what to do". I'll try to put myself
in that position.

thanks
Rich.