[Tfug] WAS Alan Cox: "I've had enough"--what else is new? Now *MORE* EFI Talk! W00t!

Sun Aug 2 04:13:28 MST 2009

On Sun, 2009-08-02 at 03:24 -0700, Bowie J. Poag wrote:
> Matthew T. Eskes wrote:
> >
> > Bowie,
> >
> > On a side note, I really think that EFI is the best thing to happen to
> > PCs since... well since they dropped all the legacy hardware. And btw
> > that last message was my poor attempt at being funny, I'm quite aware
> > that Insyde makes EFI Frameworks for literally anyone who asks/pays
> >

> Oh I know. It's not exactly earth-shatteringly new info.
>
> EFI, at least in its current state, is probably the worst thing that's
> happened to PCs in a while. It opens the door for implementing vendor
> whitelists and hardware-level DRM.
>
> The tools out there to hack common EFIs are fairly crude in quality and
> minimal in number at the moment. But like everything else, it just takes
> time.  Everything is one pissed off single geek's weekend away from a
> solution.
>
> Cheers,
> Bowie

I agree with your thoughts on DRM et al, however, at this point in EFI's
development and implementation I'm trying to remain optimistic and hope
that it acts as a catalyst for the further Vendor developments into
unifying firmware/boot loader/OS integration regardless of it being
Microsoft, Linux or $INSERT_OS_HERE. Really when I had heard about EFI
going mainstream I was hoping that vendors would have implemented more
in the fashion of Open/Core boot since, I feel that is truly a more
efficient method of performing a system/boot loader or even a
system/kernel bootstrap but call me crazy for thinking that would some
how be a *better* method of doing things. I mean, it only worked really
REALLY well for both Sun and Apple over the years. Thanks Intel for
taking a good idea and raping it.