[Tfug] Alan Cox: "I've had enough"--what else is new?

Bowie J. Poag bpoag at comcast.net
Sun Aug 2 03:24:09 MST 2009

Matthew T. Eskes wrote:

> Bowie,
>
> On a side note, I really think that EFI is the best thing to happen to
> PCs since... well since they dropped all the legacy hardware. And btw
> that last message was my poor attempt at being funny, I'm quite aware
> that Insyde makes EFI Frameworks for literally anyone who asks/pays

Oh I know. It's not exactly earth-shatteringly new info.

EFI, at least in its current state, is probably the worst thing that's
happened to PCs in a while. It opens the door for implementing vendor
whitelists and hardware-level DRM.

The tools out there to hack common EFIs are fairly crude in quality and
minimal in number at the moment. But like everything else, it just takes
time.  Everything is one pissed off single geek's weekend away from a
solution.

Cheers,
Bowie