[Tfug] Alan Cox: "I've had enough"--what else is new?

Brian Murphy murphy+tfug at email.arizona.edu
Sat Aug 1 03:11:29 MST 2009

Quoting Marco Savo <savomarco at gmail.com>:
> I meant that the posts with most reply are the post most useless,
> where people just fight about if Linux is good or God and BSD never
> breaks and Windows firewall looks like the Mexican border and
> hackintosh is the Final Solution, someone throw there a provocation
> and people fight back, ...

This is because the useless topics like this TFUG thread have almost no
barrier to entry.  Almost anyone can understand a "I Quit" message.  It
takes a profoundly deeper level of knowledge to understand the parallel
thread from Alan detailing the issue at hand:

http://lkml.org/lkml/2009/7/28/517

> I studied electronic engineering in Italy, than programming in visual
> basic. I started to work in Rome in 2001 working on intelligent
> network with Tandem and programming in C. There I saw this IVR with
> UNIX, was like the Avalon, the perfect OS. I moved then to Bologna e
> started to work with QT under Linux, and there I saw Linux for the
> first time. After that I just wanted to work with Linux. I didn't
> even know the existence of freeBSD until recently. I practically
> worked only on embedded linux since then, creating embedded devices
> that runs linux. My last company was in the PBX business, and their
> sales were plumbing because of Asterisk. Now they take the open source
> seriously.
> But, I never committed or did any bug fixing for open source, working
> on dedicated hardware. Maybe it's time to start.

I think being part of an open source development project will give you a
different (and dare I say more intellectually rewarding) experience than
a user/social group.  Both have their place.  It all depends on what
you're after.

obCarAnalogy:  It's like the difference between being an automotive
fabricator and chatting people up in the DMV. ;)

Brian

The opinions or statements expressed herein are my own and should not be
taken as a position, opinion, or endorsement of the University of
Arizona.