[Tfug] co-working projects Tucson

Chris Niswander MOST.SENDERS.ARE._FILTERED.OUT_--FOR.MY.REAL.EMAIL.ADDRESS.check.my.website..tfug.rcvr.x6a3 at bitboost.com
Sat Aug 1 01:00:23 MST 2009

Zack Williams wrote:
>> I was reading the PLUG mailing list and someone came up with this article:
>> http://www.azcentral.com/community/tempe/articles/2009/07/31/20090731coworking0719.html
>> I know Tucson is a smaller reality, but there is something like
>> http://gangplankhq.com/ here?
>> Or anyone unemployed out there interested in doing something like this?
>> I'm unemployed from almost a year now moving here from Dublin and going
>> through the immigration process. I'm trying to get up to date joining open
>> source projects, playing with my mini-itx, arduino,RHCE, C++ etc. and
>> studying English, but I found hard avoid procrastinating, I never worked by
>> myself.
>
> Personally, I think the developer/designer collaboration environment
> idea is great, when it works.  The problem is dealing with the money
> side of things (rent, internet connection, etc.) and dealing with egos
> (who's in charge, group decisionmaking, etc.)
>
> - Zack

Hi, Marco and Zack (and Bexley, if he's interested,
but I guess Bexley has his preferred work environment already.)

I think there are a lot of ways of setting up a coworking environment
depending on
- what your top priorities are, and
- what kind of contributions and commitment you're really confident
   you can get from how many people.

If Marco just wants one or more people around who will complain if he
turns on the TV and with whom he can sometimes have conversations about
problem solving, then maybe he should
- declare his apartment an unofficial co-working zone
   with a limited number of people subject to his approval
- write up a brief first draft of his preferred ground rules
   (I mostly just think Marco should be able to kick people out of his
    own apartment if he can't cope with them.)
- recruit a few people
- work up an agreed-on schedule for when people are supposed to come
   over

I know this would only work for some people's needs
(it might or might not be appropriate for Marco)
but at least it dodges some of the problems Zack mentions.

-- Chris N.