[Tfug] Why GNOME was the stupidest idea in Linux history...

Bowie J. Poag bpoag at comcast.net
Wed Apr 29 22:51:41 MST 2009

Matthew Patenaude wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 1:00 PM, Jim March <1.jim.march at gmail.com
> <mailto:1.jim.march at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Bowie, you're saying two different things here that don't make sense:
>
>     1) There's something fundamentally wrong with the Windows user
>     interface.
>
>     Guess what?  For most users, that's just not true.  Microsoft's
>     failure isn't in the user interface, it's in the "guts" below that:
>     security and stability issues galore.  The whole thing is one big
>     "binary blob" and we know where that leads.

Putting a joystick in the backseat will still allow you to drive a car.
That doesn't mean it's a good idea, or even that a joystick is a good idea.

>     I didn't abandon Windows due to the user interface.  I abandoned it so
>     my lappy wouldn't get possessed by the evil spawn of some Ukrainian
>     gangster's semi-geek nephew.
>
>     2) The MacOS user interface is better than Gnome or KDE.  Or even
>     Windows for chrissakes.
>
>     Bowie, I dare you to try just one thing: re-size the fonts in the
>     basic OS pulldown menus.  Oh gee, you CAN'T, can you?  I know a guy
>     over 70 years old running Leopard who's getting serious eyestrain
>     issues.

You can, actually, but that's beside the point.  Some things shouldn't
be changeable, for the sake of preserving visual consistency in the
interface. Often times, one size *does* fit all. Failing to hold the
line results in crapware.

>     That's just one example of it being the most inflexible turd of a
>     desktop EVER.
>
>     Don't even get me started on one-button mice.

OS X supports traditional 3 button mice straight out of the box, no
additional setup or anything required. The mousebuttons are already
mapped the way you'd expect them to work, by default. Single-button mice
are for novices.

>     Basically, if you don't like it Steve Jobs' way, tough.  Yeah, at
>     least you can buy a different mouse...but too much other stuff is
>     locked down tighter than the meds in a prison mental ward.

Not true.

>     Ghaaaa.

Derrrrrrghhhjbbllrrgghh.... :)

Cheers,