[Tfug] Hardware reliability

Jim Secan jim at nwra.com
Fri Apr 17 12:01:38 MST 2009

I have never-ever-ever had any problems with the two Sun systems I
have.  One purchased in 1993 and still running, the other in 1999 and
still running (both running 24x7x365).  Their hardware was great.
Maybe still is, but I've not bought any lately.

Now, for PCs, I've got one that's been running just fine since 2002
with no problems.  However, on others I've had HDs fail, video cards
fail, various cooling fans go dead, one MOBO fail big-time, at least
one CD burner go south on me, and a couple of power supplies die.
This is on Dell and local clone-builder systems (Tucson and Seattle
area).  On the whole, I'd say that HD failure is the main problem I
run into.

For PCs, this is very much a YMMV situation.

Jim
James Secan
NorthWest Research Associates, Inc
2455 E. Speedway Blvd, Suite 204