[Tfug] Cable modem

Zack Williams zdwzdw at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 18:25:32 MST 2009

> I need some ideas about troubleshooting my internet setup. I have two Linux
> boxes (Ubuntu 9.04b) accessing the internet via a wired router.  I wish to
> try accessing the internet directly through the cable modem so that I can do
> some troubleshooting. When I follow the procedure, ie; shutting everything
> down, starting the modem first then the box I cannot establish a connection.
> Since I use LINUX, the cable tech help blushed and said they only support
> Windblows and Mac. They do however support my money so that was a dead end.
> I pictured them spraying their headset with Lysol after hanging up from me.

Most cable modems lock to the first MAC address that is connected to
them. You have to power cycle the modem every time you connect a new
ethernet port to it.

Most DOCSIS 2.0 modems have a diagnostic page at http://192.168.100.1
that you can check out to see modem connection status.

I'm not sure if you're still connected through the router, or directly
to the modem - could you better describe your current network setup?

- Zack