[Tfug] "No modules loaded"

John Karns johnkarns at gmail.com
Sat Apr 11 11:22:08 MST 2009

On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 8:02 AM, erich <erich1 at copper.net> wrote:
> There is something in the kernel that matters.
>       First of all, I don't use WIFI. However I did a search when I brought
> up
> make menuconfig for my kernel and got:
>
> Symbol: ATH5K [=n]                                                      |  |
> Prompt: Atheros 5xxx wireless cards support                             |  |
>   Defined at drivers/net/wireless/Kconfig:735                           |  |
>   Depends on: NETDEVICES && !S390 && PCI && MAC80211 && WLAN_80211 && E |  |
>   Location:                                                             |  |
>     -> Device Drivers                                                   |  |
>       -> Network device support (NETDEVICES [=y])                       |  |
>         -> Wireless LAN                                                 |  |
>           -> Wireless LAN (IEEE 802.11) (WLAN_80211 [=n])
>
> I'm using a 2.6.25 kernel, but you should get something very similar for
> yours. (Mine is generic)
> In your case, there is the possibility that the necessary module hasn't been
> compiled in.

The problem seems to have been resolved after running depmod - the
wifi card is now functional under the 2.6.24 kernel installed on this
system.

/Ramble
It's remarkable how much the body of kernel source has grown over the
past 5 years or so.  After many years of compiling it and installing
it myself, going through the selection of options with the current
generation of code is to be confronted with such an array of choices
and that would seem to require an advanced comp sci degree to be able
to speculate about their purpose .. or at least a good chunk of time
devoted to researching the terminology.

Although I did go through the process for a 2.6.24 kernel (cheated,
and did "make oldconfig" using a Ubuntu .config file from a 2.6.22
kernel on hand - took well over an hour to compile on this 1.8 Ghz,
non-dual core laptop), I'm not sure that I want to go to the trouble
(at least not presently) of constructing an initrd image.  But from
taking the time to expand the one from the .22 installed during the
upgrade, AFAICT I have a feeling it's mostly superfluous, as about the
only real purpose it seems to serve is to provide the splash screen
during bootup, as it's devoid of modules!

--
John