[Tfug] Which EMail reader for BIG volumes of mail?

Dean Jones dean.jones at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 18:42:27 MST 2009

Jeff Breadner wrote:
> Jim March wrote:
>> When I mean "big", I mean out past 2gig in a matter of a few days.  I
>> have somebody who wants to convert who is likely THE biggest EMail
>> volume user that anybody's ever seen.  And somebody literally famous
>> enough that if she jumps to Linux, the news will make Digg and Reddit
>> in a matter of days.
>>
>> She also need to deal with multiple accounts.  She's on Outlook now.
>> I'll almost certainly be her them to Ubuntu Intrepid, although Jaunty
>> in beta is looking SO good right now...
>>
>> Anyways.  Suggestions welcome.  I know for a fact she'll overload
>> Thunderbird if we try that!  Would the latest Evolution work, or
>> should I be thinking of a text-based reader, or...???
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Jim
>>

> I use thunderbird to point to multiple IMAP clients, each of which has a
> gig or better of email.  If the remote side is fast enough, it takes the
> load off the local side.  The biggest issue is keeping the accounts
> straight when sending a new mail (it defaults to use whatever account
> you currently have highlighted) but there's plugins that can manage this
> a bit better.
>
> cheers
>   JB

I also use Thunderbird for multiple accounts and large volumes of email.

I have found that the server matters a LOT regarding TB performance.
Servers using Maildir and modern (not UW imap) imap servers zip along
amazingly fast even doing searches of very large folders.

Mbox on the other hand ends up causing issues where Tbird can get out of
sync on particular folders and also causes noticable delays as the
server is reading in large files.

I do now know what Gmail uses, but remote IMAP to them has been slow and
spotty lately as well which seems to piss off tbird.

I guess what i'm getting at is that most people end up blaming their
mail client when often the problem lies at the server end.

Anyway when I last managed windows boxes, Outlook would have trouble
with that volume of email per day if not managed very specifically so
this user must be doing some serious mail management!