[Tfug] Advice on Powerbuilder app migration

Randy Mathews randy at u.arizona.edu
Mon Apr 6 07:35:08 MST 2009

Hello, all. John Gruenenfelder, a longtime friend and TFUG member,
suggested I ask folks here this question.

I work in a relatively small (~40 FTE) department at the UA that
oversees construction projects on campus. We handle project oversight,
budgeting, inspections, design, etc. We are using an in-house built
Powerbuilder application with a SQL backend to handle pretty much all
business functions including project budgets, billing, contract
management, and timesheets. The application dates to around 2000. I've
been working on it since 2003. My supervisor and I have recently begun
thinking about how we would like to modernize this application, & what
development environment we want to migrate to since Powerbuilder is dead
or dying. This is where we are seeking input.

Both of us are competent Powerscript coders and we know SQL pretty well,
but we do not have knowledge of contemporary business application
development environments. Our current fat-client system has worked very
well for us so far, but having it be a web application certainly has
some advantages. We have a couple of users outside of our department
that need special configurations & builds of our app to be able to run
it, plus our folks might want to access our data from home.

Our current application has been worked on by at least 4 people over the
years and there is code pretty much _everywhere_, from non-visual
objects to stuff crammed on GUI elements. There actually is not a lot of
  logic contained solely on the database so we are going to have to
completely re-code all our business functions again. We have tons of
custom reports & whatnot contained on datawindows that we are not
looking forward to porting/recreating.

Does anyone have advice on what we should be moving toward in
modernizing this application? What should we focus our training energies
on? What have others moved to after leaving Powerbuilder?

Thanks in advance!

--
-Randy Mathews
Support Systems Analyst, Sr.