[Tfug] dynamic website help

christopher floess skeptikos at gmail.com
Sun Apr 5 19:38:38 MST 2009

Alright, since I'm a total novice at web design, and I haven't come up
with anything on my own, I'm asking you all.

I have a website that I'm creating for a collaborative project. It
involves a series of documents that are being revised, re-revised, and
then re-revised a third time. Right now I have the documents available
for download, and I've written a script for people to resubmit the
files. The problem I'm having is that I have a table on my site, which
lists each document, and I want to toggle something (anything, really)
to indicate that a revision of a given document has been uploaded. So,
as an example, document1 has had no revisions submitted, so the
toggles for revision 1,2 and 3 are 'off'. Then someone submits
revision 1 and its toggle for revision on is turned 'on' while the
rest of the toggles are 'off' still.

How is this sort of thing normally done? One approach I thought about
was getting a csv file with all of the documents and their toggles.
Since all of the documents have their own page, the upload form could
be configured in such a way as to associate itself with one of the
lines in the list, and as files are uploaded, toggles in that line of
the csv file could be turned on. Is this the way to do it?

I'm sure there are lots of ways to do it. I don't feel comfortable
with javascript, but I've done limited amount of cgi scripts in perl
and python. Thanks for any help ~ Chris