[Tfug] Guys, what's a good way to test video performance?

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Sun Apr 5 02:40:00 MST 2009

My lappy has an Intel 965 (aka "x3100") video chipset, I'm running
Ubuntu Jaunty and I'm trying to tune video performance using the new
"UXA" acceleration method.  Apparently it's stable for some people,
not others.  Heh.

Well I've run into something funky.  I've switched, the system seems
OK, it "feels" fast as hell in Compiz rotations and the like.  But
according to GLXGears, it's pulling about 450ish versus about 680
under EXA.

At the same time, GLXGears itself is giving me a weird message I've
never seen before in the terminal window:

===
jim at thecritter:~$ glxgears
Running synchronized to the vertical refresh.  The framerate
should be approximately 1/32 the monitor refresh rate.
===

That seems to suggest GLXgears is giving an even more inaccurate view
of video performance than usual...like it may be total BS.

And I've seen numerous reference to GLXGears not being a valid test anyways.

So what IS a good test suite to compare UXA and EXA settings in xorg.conf?

Thanks!

Jim

PS: as I was typing this video froze completely so...yeah, I could
still use a reliable video performance tester, BUT uxa ain't ready for
prime time yet.