[Tfug] OT: HDTV

johngalt1 johngalt1 at uswest.net
Wed Sep 24 19:18:00 MST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bexley Hall" <bexley401 at yahoo.com>
To: <tfug at tfug.org>
Sent: Wednesday, September 24, 2008 6:19 PM
Subject: [Tfug] OT: HDTV

> Hi,
>
> We're looking into the idea of purchasing a new HDTV
> (despite the fact that we only watch about 5 hours of
> broadcast TV each week  :-/ )
>
> However, I'm wondering if the LCD models have the same
> sorts of quality problems as the LCD *monitors*?!
> Anyone have a set that is at least 2-3 years old to
> comment
> first-hand?

Please elaborate. What sort of quality problems have you
observed and wish to avoid?

> I wonder if TV's see more use than LCD monitors?  I
> suspect
> monitors get left on "at work" for 8-10 hours daily --
> maybe
> more if left to go to "power save mode" afterhours (which
> still stresses some of the components therein).  Hard to
> imagine TV's seeing that much use... though, having said
> that, I know a good many "couch potatoes" who probably
> have
> their sets on 8+ hours 7 days a week!  :<

Broadcast TV?

Have you visited http://www.tvfool.com ? Can you see the
transmission towers on Mt Bigelow? (at night)

The reason I ask is based on the experience of a guy I knew
years ago who subsequently went on to become an engineering
manager at AiResearch / Honeywell. A coiuple of years ago
for his bad-ass theater system, he wanted bleeding edge
broadcast content. So he bought a top end antenna, plus amp
and rotator. But the guy lives south of Sabino Canyon and
Snyder on that hill. Whoops! No line of sight... Wasted his
money...