[Tfug] open source version of MS Publisher

Angus Scott-Fleming angussf at geoapps.com
Wed Sep 24 12:38:04 MST 2008

On 23 Sep 2008 at 19:55, Malcolm Schmerl  wrote:

> Does anybody know of a viable replacement for MS Publisher? I need a
> program that will open MS files, as well. Malcolm

I've come across this issue (MS Publisher files) many times, and AFAIK there
still is no way to open a .PUB file except using some version of Publisher.
If you absolutely have no choice, you can install a trial copy of Publisher
in a WINE session or a virtual machine, then "print" the .PUB file to a PDF,
which you can then edit using one of the many FLOSS options.

If you can get the supplier of the .PUB files to "print" them to PDF using
PDFcreator ( http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/ ) you won't need to
monkey with WINE or a trial version.  Installing PDFcreator on Windows is
dead-eary even for noobs, so that would be my recommendation.

------- Included Stuff Follows -------

  Where is the Publisher viewer? - Publisher - Microsoft Office Online

    If you receive a Publisher (.pub) file in e-mail and you are unable to
    open it, you can download a trial version of Publisher.

    By using the trial version, you can also find out more about how Office
    Publisher 2007 can help you quickly create professional-looking
    publications.

    After the trial expires, you can still use the trial version as a
    viewer for Publisher files, even though you can no longer create or
    change publications.

--------- Included Stuff Ends ---------
More here with links:
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/publisher/HA102339061033.aspx
Google Cached version:
http://209.85.173.104/search?q=cache:307NJksCWs0J:office.microsoft.com/en-
us/publisher/HA102339061033.aspx+publisher+viewer&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us&c
lient=firefox-a

According to the folks at WINEHQ, Publisher 2007 works:

    Wine AppDB - Microsoft Office 2007
    http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=4992

HTH

Angus Scott-Fleming