[Tfug] Mount Problems (REPOST)

Charles R. Kiss charles at kissbrothers.com
Wed Sep 24 07:06:56 MST 2008

I bought a Lacie OneTouch  750GB  external harddrive.  Like a dummy I
didn't format it myself; I just plugged it in; copied some files to it
from my Linux machine, it worked okay, I  mounted it, transfered files,
etc. without a care. Then, one day, as my Macbook was barely
booting up, and pooping up and down, I decided to hurry to save files
before it was too late.  In a panic, I plugged in the Lacie and was barely
able to copy the files from the Macbook to the Lacie using cp.  It seemed
to work.  I can't remember if I used cp -a, or if I made a separate
directory in the Lacie for the storage of the Macbook files, it was two
months ago. Now, I can't mount the Lacie using mount.  There are
a few partitions, sdb1, sdb2, etc. that show up, using df or fdisk -l
(can't remember).  To mount, I tried using -hfs and -hpfs filesystem
types, etc.  The drive does seem to respond: there's a pause at the
command prompt and the Lacie light turns on/off.  I'm at the
point where I think the partition tables are messy.  I could use fsck
but I don't know what filesystem option I should use being that it might
have two (ext2 or 3 and hpfs, +??) But maybe I just need
to reboot the Lacie -maybe I haven't tried that, yet... I can't remember
(I shouldn't have too, right?). Anyway, let me know if you have
any ideas. Partition table recovery packages, etc. And thanks again for
your help with the 32bit vs.64bit help... everything works!!!