[Tfug] Cox and Port 25

Jim Secan jim at nwra.com
Wed Sep 10 10:14:58 MST 2008

At 10:08 AM 09/10/2008 -0700, you wrote:
>Ah, now that's different.  The gmail SMTP server requires you to use
>port 587 (and check the SSL box in Apple Mail) because it's an
>auth-required SMTP server.  That's not a Cox problem.

Back to start:  When I switched to Cox, I had been using Gmail and port 25
with no problems.  After switching, I could receive email from my Gmail
account but not send it.  I used telnet to see if port 25 was open, which
is was not.  I then tried port 587, and started using that for sending
email via Gmail when I found that it was open.  The original problem is due
to Cox shutting off port 25.  My concern is that these bozos will decide
that port 587 is also a spam issue and close it down, forcing all Cox users
to use their mail servers.  This is not a Gmail problem (except from Cox's
point of view).

Jim
| Jim Secan           | Northwest Research Assoc, Inc |
| (jim at nwra.com)      | 2455 E. Speedway, Suite 204   |
| (520) 319-7773      | Tucson, Arizona 85719         |