[Tfug] Cox and Port 25

Matt Jacob m at mattjacob.com
Mon Sep 8 14:41:30 MST 2008

Jim Secan wrote:
> Has anyone had any luck getting Cox to open port 25 for them?  My

I never even tried when I had Cox. If you're configuring Gmail on a
per-computer basis, you're better off using port 465 or 587 over TLS
anyway, as per Google's instructions here:

http://is.gd/2n5h

If you want to set up a home SMTP server, I had good luck using the
ssmtp package, which is essentially an MTA that passes mail off to a
hub, i.e. Cox. The setting I used in /etc/ssmtp/ssmtp.conf was:

mailhub=smtp.west.cox.net

In Postfix, that would look like this:

relayhost = smtp.west.cox.net

However, the merit of using Postfix merely to shuttle messages off to a
third-party (=overhead) is debatable.

Hope that helps!

Matt