[Tfug] stripping the gui in a linux distro

Michael J. Emswiler memswiler at gmail.com
Fri Oct 31 14:37:00 MST 2008

Install whatever distro you like with whatever default GUI it comes with.

Then google on that distro and version number and "runlevel 3"

What you want to do is simply change your default runlevel to 3, which
will prevent the GUI from automatically starting.  Then you can start it
manually with startx (usually, though some distros may vary.)

To do this in OpenSuse through the Yast interface:

yast->system->runlevel editor->expert mode
there under were you select the simple and expertmode is an option to
set the runlevel after booting.

Thanks,
MikeE