[Tfug] The Joy of OSX, and the friction coefficient of goose droppings.

Bowie J. Poag bpoag at comcast.net
Tue Oct 28 11:14:37 MST 2008

Disclaimer: I'm not a latte'-sipping emo hipster who parks his ass at
Starbucks and cleans his black-rimmed glasses with his own tears.
However....

I now own a Mac.

I am a Mac user.

Technically speaking.

I've been building an OSx86 Hackintosh over the past week or so, working
off of a new Compaq Presario C700 laptop. I am now in the posession of a
3GB dual-core Compaqintosh running Mac OS X 10.5.5. Everything about it
works.. Sound, network, trackpad, video accelleration, wifi...It's
identical in function and performance to the real thing at a fraction of
the cost.

And I'm in love with it. Absolutely in love with it.

This is the way Unix should be. Fast, consistent, streamlined,
efficient, fluid and elegant on the surface, and cold, brutal, and
frighteningly user-hostile under the hood. The hood isn't bolted shut,
either. The whole package is slicker than goose shit. My apologies if
you didn't grow up in the midwest, but, trust me -- goose shit is pretty
slick. Those damn geese are everywhere up there. You gotta watch where
you walk.

I'm happy to leave desktop Linux in the ditch at this point, where Vista
can keep it company. Linux is unbeatable in the server arena, but I
think too many missed opportunities have gone by for Linux on the
desktop to gain any real traction.

Too much shit on the hill courtesy of the geese in Cupertino. :)

Cheers,
Bowie