[Tfug] VoIP phones

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 27 19:00:13 MST 2008

Hi,

I'm working with a group designing a VoIP phone.
My sole responsibility is the hardware so I've
been avoiding many of the software related
arguments/discussions.

But, there is currently a discussion about how
"stand-alone-ish" the device should be.  And,
this (apparently) effects the complexity of the
software enough to have hardware implications.

<frown>

One argument favors a "dumb phone" that relies on
added functionality in a "VoIP PBX" elsewhere on
the network to do the actual routing of calls,
implement fancier features, etc.

Another argument favors a "full featured" phone;
i.e., something that can plug into the Internet
*anywhere* and talk directly to other (similar?)
phones elsewhere on the 'net.

I am *guessing* that many VoIP installations use
the first approach -- lots of dumb handsets that
talk *through* a server that provides the higher
level functionality.  But, that's just a *guess*.

Are there any reasons to *avoid*/*embrace* one
particular approach over the other?  (i.e., it
seems like both get you there but via different
tracks -- and different implementations).

Or, should I just chill out and wait for some
concensus to develop and then just "defer" to
their (ahem) "greater wisdom"?  :>  (i.e., the
"cost" to me is not significant; I can design
with chip X just as easily as chip Y, etc.)

Thanks!
--don