[Tfug] grep question [was find | grep]

Jeff Breadner jeff at breadner.ca
Fri Oct 24 08:33:10 MST 2008

Rich wrote:
> Hang on a sec...
>
> Maxim #644: Use of temporary files with sed is an admission of failure.

True enough, I was just too lazy to look up the specific 'find' command
that was generating the temp file, and assumed that he was more
interested in the actual sed/grep command that would be useful, rather
than giving him the exact verbatim string that he should use to solve
his problem.

I'm all for stringing together as many pipes as is required to avoid
creating an actual file.  But, when developing a sed command like this
I'll often work with a temporary file just to speed up the runtime.

Nice sed command though, I couldn't get mine working ;)

cheers
  Jeff