[Tfug] Swapping out a notebook's LCD? (Followup)

Claude Rubinson rubinson at u.arizona.edu
Mon Oct 20 22:17:06 MST 2008

On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 02:10:04PM -0700, Claude Rubinson wrote:
> I took apart the dead T40 and the LCD was pretty simple to remove (a
> few screws and had to disconnect on connector).  So, physically at
> least, I don't think that it should be a problem.

So, my curiosity got the best of me and I tried swapping the LCDs
tonight.  Long story short: it didn't work.

The higher resolution LCD did plug in easily enough and the backlight
would power on, but it wouldn't display anything.  Could the LCD have
been damaged?  Possibly, but I don't think so.  If I had been able to
swap the inverter cards, maybe it would have worked (it's easy enough
to remove the inverter card on Thinkpads).  Unfortunately, I think
that I must have thrown it away when I disposed of (some of) the other
machine this past weekend.  D'oh!

I do not recommend doing this.  As is often the case, it was much
easier to take the screen apart than to reassemble it.  Just 30
minutes to verify that the LCD didn't work and about three hours and a
fair amount of cursing to get everything reassembled.  And I never was
able to get the latch that secures the two halves together to work
quite right.

Claude