[Tfug] Swapping out a notebook's LCD?

Calvin Dodge caldodge at gmail.com
Sat Oct 11 17:49:26 MST 2008

On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 5:41 PM, Claude Rubinson <rubinson at u.arizona.edu> wrote:
> Remembered that I had a copy of the maintenance manual on my machine.
> I've confirmed that the T40--T42s are all physically identical
> w/regard to the LCD assemblies.  So I can definitely swap them.  The
> question still stands: is there any reason that I shouldn't try?
> While it's not too complex, neither is it a trivial operation.  And
> there's also the risk of damaging one or both of the LCDs.  If it's
> not going to work, I don't want to open up my new machine.

It should work fine - I've replaced one Toshiba LCD screen (the laptop
had been on the floor of a car, and hard braking had caused a monitor
to drop from a seat onto the laptop), and removed/reinstalled a few
Dell laptop screens during disassemblies for other reasons, and I'm no
master technician by any means.

> (Plus, almost certainly some of the sticky plastic covers that hide
> the screws won't stay on after the operation, so the patient will
> emerge regardless with some noticeable scarring.)

Yep, that's true.

Calvin