[Tfug] Swapping out a notebook's LCD?

Claude Rubinson rubinson at u.arizona.edu
Sat Oct 11 17:41:56 MST 2008

On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 03:07:42PM -0700, Claude Rubinson wrote:
> I haven't opened up the new machine yet, but I'm almost certain that
> they will be the same.  IBM's pretty good about providing detailed
> maintenance manuals, so I'll try to dig one up to verify.

Remembered that I had a copy of the maintenance manual on my machine.
I've confirmed that the T40--T42s are all physically identical
w/regard to the LCD assemblies.  So I can definitely swap them.  The
question still stands: is there any reason that I shouldn't try?
While it's not too complex, neither is it a trivial operation.  And
there's also the risk of damaging one or both of the LCDs.  If it's
not going to work, I don't want to open up my new machine.

(Plus, almost certainly some of the sticky plastic covers that hide
the screws won't stay on after the operation, so the patient will
emerge regardless with some noticeable scarring.)

Claude