[Tfug] Swapping out a notebook's LCD?

Claude Rubinson rubinson at u.arizona.edu
Sat Oct 11 14:10:04 MST 2008

So, I received my new thinkpad the other day.  I had a T40 and went up
to a T42, so it's basically identical.  I just swapped out the hard
drive and everything was the same.

Well, almost everything.  I accidentally purchased a T42 with the
1024x768 resolution LCD rather than the 1400x1050 resolution.  The LCD
is fine on my old machine, so I'm wondering if I might be able to swap
them?

I took apart the dead T40 and the LCD was pretty simple to remove (a
few screws and had to disconnect on connector).  So, physically at
least, I don't think that it should be a problem.

Is there anything that I need to think about/research before going
ahead with this?  Are there any problems that I'm not aware of?

One issue that I am concerned with is that Xorg now probes the monitor
for its maximum resolution and respects that setting.  Does anybody
know if that information is stored in the LCD itself?  Or might it be
outside of it?  (In which case, swapping out the LCD won't do me any
good.)  (Also, just to stave off any confusion--it is definitely the
monitor's resolution that's the limiting factor here, the built-in
video card is capable of driving much higher resolutions.)

Thanks for any help,

Claude