[Tfug] Help! Have a server getting it's address via DHCP: need a fixed reference point...

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Sun Nov 30 17:52:25 MST 2008

Folks, this is driving me nuts.

Even without rebooting this box, it's IP address keeps changing on me.
 So the server access bash scripting I do stops working all too soon.

The lines I'm doing are:

sudo mount -t smbfs //192.168.168.133/client /media/client -o
username=xxxx,password=yyyy
sudo mount -t smbfs //192.168.168.133/tmw5 /media/tmw5 -o
username=xxxx,password=yyyy

I have directories at /media/client and /media/tmw5 with proper permissions.

Note that both server and client machines are Ubuntu yet I can't
browse the network for the server - that's likely why I have to refer
to it by IP addy.  Which keeps changing.

SIGH.

Howinhell do I lock in a given IP addy?  Or failing that, why can't I
refer to the damnthing by it's own name rather than an IP?

Heeeeelp!

Jim