[Tfug] Searching for help.

erich erich1 at copper.net
Wed Nov 26 20:59:01 MST 2008

FWIW,
       My distro (which is Gentoo) has a serious dependency on a
compiler that works
quickly and efficiently. Daniel Robbins, one of the primary architects
of Gentoo,
recognized that there were versions of the gcc compiler that were slow
and horribly
inefficient. He chose one that was optimal for the distro and has been
incorporated
into the Gentoo system (with updates)
       The latest version is

       [ebuild   R   ] sys-devel/gcc-4.1.2  USE="doc* fortran gtk
mudflap nls..."

       Note the setting of the fortran "USE" flag. This means that this
version is
fully capable of compiling FORTRAN code. Why? Well, there are many
scientific
packages on the mirror sites that are written in FORTRAN code that need
to be built.

       I guess what I'm saying is that, if you need to build something
coded in FORTRAN,
the gcc compiler should not be a problem. (provided you have the right
version.)

Erich