[Tfug] Considering jumping from Intrepid to Fedora 10...thoughts?

Ryan Cresawn jrcresawn at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 19:53:03 MST 2008

On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 5:44 PM, Jim March <1.jim.march at gmail.com> wrote:
> Intrepid has me bummed in a couple of areas.
>
> * Sound is wiggy - Intel laptop HDA audio broke in Intrepid beta, so I
> had to splice in OSS4.  Which while funky, works OK.  I did a clean
> install when it went gold, audio worked for a while then an update
> broke it and I'm back to OSS4.  Sigh.  Plus there's numerous reports
> that Ubuntu's PulseAudio implementation was screwball from the start.
>
> * Network Manager 7 is supposed to let me share my cellular modem
> across WiFi.  I just can't get it to work despite major hacking and
> trying four different WiFi cards/adapters.  Then I tried to share
> across Ethernet using a twist cable - nothing doing.  I also had to
> tweak settings to get my cellmodem working at all.  So now I'm down to
> wondering "is it me, or is Ubuntu's NM7 implementation just plain
> wacky?"
>
> I figure if anybody is going to get NM7 working right (a Red Hat
> project) it'll be Fedora.
>
> Fedora 10 goes live tomorrow after some delays caused by repository
> security issues (now sorted out) which suggests it's had plenty of
> time to "cook".
>
> What do you guys think?
>
> Jim

I'm personally not much of a Fedora fan; however, I have used it
before and find it to be a pretty reasonable choice of desktop.  I too
have not been entirely happy with Ubuntu 8.10 and decided to
experiment with openSUSE 11.0.  I have it installed on my home laptop,
which I'm using now, and my work laptop.  I have been impressed.
While it does have some oddities about it, as all distributions do, it
has a polished GNOME interface that I just haven't seen with Ubuntu.
With the default theme and color scheme I'm really impressed with the
overall appearance.  Plus there are a few Novell sponsored projects
that seem well integrated like Slab.  GNOME Do is also wonderful if
you aren't familiar with it.  The Compiz configuration defaults are
also nice.  On December 18th openSUSE 11.1 will be made available and
so you may at least want to wait until it is available before
committing to Fedora.  By then you will have a choice of three new
major Linux distributions.

Ryan