[Tfug] Considering jumping from Intrepid to Fedora 10...thoughts?

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 17:44:20 MST 2008

Intrepid has me bummed in a couple of areas.

* Sound is wiggy - Intel laptop HDA audio broke in Intrepid beta, so I
had to splice in OSS4.  Which while funky, works OK.  I did a clean
install when it went gold, audio worked for a while then an update
broke it and I'm back to OSS4.  Sigh.  Plus there's numerous reports
that Ubuntu's PulseAudio implementation was screwball from the start.

* Network Manager 7 is supposed to let me share my cellular modem
across WiFi.  I just can't get it to work despite major hacking and
trying four different WiFi cards/adapters.  Then I tried to share
across Ethernet using a twist cable - nothing doing.  I also had to
tweak settings to get my cellmodem working at all.  So now I'm down to
wondering "is it me, or is Ubuntu's NM7 implementation just plain
wacky?"

I figure if anybody is going to get NM7 working right (a Red Hat
project) it'll be Fedora.

Fedora 10 goes live tomorrow after some delays caused by repository
security issues (now sorted out) which suggests it's had plenty of
time to "cook".

What do you guys think?

Jim