[Tfug] OT: RFC about Android and ebook software

John Gruenenfelder johng at as.arizona.edu
Fri Nov 21 05:25:04 MST 2008

Greetings,

As some of you may know, I wrote a moderately popular ebook reader (see sig)
for PalmOS some time ago.  The project is still active, but it's no secret
that Palm is about two stupid management decisions away from completely
dying.  It's also true that my PDA won't last forever.

So, I'm contemplating getting some sort of Android device (presumably there
will be more than one to choose from by the time I actually make a purchase).
I don't intend to stop reading or stop working on my project, so that also
means creating an Android version of Weasel Reader.

I'm interested in opinions and advice on what features *might* be useful in a
new version on such a device, a device which is far more capable than Palm
PDAs.

Now, normally I would ask the current users what they think.  But... as Palm
slowly dies, the user base is also shrinking substantially.  I can't even get
the current version translated.  Also, the two users I do have any contact
with, a Swede and a Brit, have been almost completely useless.  You'd think
people who read a lot would have better imaginations...

So... ideas?  You don't really need to know the precise details of the current
Palm version if you don't want to.  Suffice to say that it does its primary
job well.  An Android device, though, is far more powerful, has a much richer
API which can make adding certain features much easier, and has much easier to
use Net access.

Some of my quick ideas were:

- a new document format that, in addition to current features, allows for
attached or imbedded images as well as some amount of markup.

- proper unicode support.

- a Project Gutenberg book browser.  Sort of like what the Kindle lets you
do, I think.  Select the browser from the menu, select/search an author or
title, download the book, optionally convert it to the native format (for
bookmarks and such), start reading.

- any other free/free-ish book sites which allow easy access from a program?

- include the document conversion code in the reader.  With a device that can
access the net and has some semblance of a regular file system, you wouldn't
even need a PC to make full use of the program if you didn't want to.

- draconian DRM that both tracks users and punishes them with mild shocks,
even when they haven't done anything wrong.  Maybe severe shocks?

I don't imagine any of these features making the program substantially
larger.  Be creative!  What would *you* find useful *if* this sort of thing
appealed to you?  What about readers/users from other parts of the world?
Remember that the target audience is simply people who want to read easily on
the go.  It's not aimed at the uber-geek crowd, though it doesn't drive them
away either (that's why you can use regex to generate bookmarks).

Thanks for taking the time!

P.S.  Yes, any future version will remain freely available under the GPL.  I
won a moderately useful server and a free trip to Europe for working on the
Palm version so, karma wise, the Universe and I have an understanding.

--
--John Gruenenfelder    Systems Manager, MKS Imaging Technology, LLC.
Try Weasel Reader for PalmOS  --  http://weaselreader.org