[Tfug] 2 weeks of Hackintosh fun..

Bowie J. Poag bpoag at comcast.net
Sun Nov 9 17:52:55 MST 2008

Hi Shawn,

Familliar at all with iDeneb, iATKOS, JaS, Kalyway, at all?

Each one is basically a Darwin live CD with different kernels that allow
you to OS X to run on non-Apple hardware. Some are more "helpful" than
others, when it comes to the eventual goal of getting a working OS X
install. :)  That's the easy way.  The hard way is to roll your own
Darwin install, then pour OS X into the cracks until you have a viable
system. That's what I did in the end. Not for the faint of heart,
however... Be prepared to whip out the old-school knowhow for the
heavier stuff. Sometimes it isn't easy to get things to behave in the
way you want them to behave.

For example...From what i've read, (and what I hope i'm recounting here
accurately) a big hurdle was to get around OS X's dependency on Intel
processor-specific instructions like SSE2 and SSE3. This precluded OS X
from running on anything but certain Intel hardware. It took someone to
build a Darwin kernel with SSE2/SSE3 instruction emulation. Doing so
allows OS X to run not only on other Intel-based hardware, but AMD-based
hardware as well..

Another example. Sound. Apple has binary-only drivers for the hardware
used in their machines.... but obviously, the company they went with
produces more than one sound card for more than one platform. To get
things working, you, the geek, need change driver config to notice the
slightly different PCI vendor ID string your particular hardware
presents to the bus. Simple fix, just a text file edit, but underlying
knowledge of what you're looking at is still required.

Worst case I can think of had to do with wifi... Having to extract, hex
edit, and push (and possibly brick) new firmware on the card itself in
order for a particular binary driver from Apple to see and use the
device. Yikes.

Cheers,
Bowie