[Tfug] 2 weeks of Hackintosh fun..

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Sun Nov 9 13:33:44 MST 2008

Quoting:

>>Even if you buy a license... you are are
in violation of the license agreement. You
are infringing on your license by choosing
a different hardware vendor. Simplified, you
are now (and for the foreseeable future)
infringing on Apple's "intellectual property"
and legally liable for this. That doesn't
sound free or open.<<

Oh, it's worse than that.  What you have with a Hackintosh is
fundamentally unstable in that you're just one update from blowup.
Apple WILL kill off the OSX Hackintosh community eventually.

I'm running Ubuntu (now at Intrepid) VERY successfully with a $500
(five or six months ago) Dell low-end lappy.  It can't run OSX.
Despite the low price point, I'm NOT doing just low-end stuff on it -
with 2gigs RAM Virtualbox/WinXP runs great on this low-end dual core
processor.

I *cannot* afford a Mac lappy, and I need a lappy.  So what am I
supposed to do?  Vista?  Oh hell no.

With Intrepid (Xorg 7.4/Xserver 1.5.2/Intel965), dual-screen support
is now every bit as clean as on a Mac (FINALLY!).  Connecting to the
net through a cellular modem or cellphone is as clean as WiFi has been
for a good while now.

Like hell we're not close.

If Ubuntu does Jaunty right, all they'll need is some speed tweaks and
reliability stuff without expanding the feature set other than
whatever the upstream comes up with, and dayum...

I'm not saying OSX ain't "all that", although I would hate a
one-button mouse.  But not everybody can afford Apple hardware and
some have bought into high-end hardware that can't be Hackintoshed.
For us, there's Linux, and it doesn't suck.

Jim March