[Tfug] 2 weeks of Hackintosh fun..

Bowie J. Poag bpoag at comcast.net
Sun Nov 9 07:09:32 MST 2008

Hey Eric,

Exactly.

Darwin/x86 is to 2008 what Linux was to 1998.  If I were a kid just
starting CS in college these days, i'd make Darwin my favorite sandbox,
not Linux. Linux has grown so far away from its origins that it has
become a convoluted mess under the hood, overgrown with SELinux and PAM
vines that you have to take a machete' to if you want to do anything
really *core* Unix.. Being close to the copper is a valuable experience,
and that experience is easier to have in Darwin nowadays than it is in
mainstream Linux distribs.

Off the topic, but...One of the "final straws" that made me want to look
into OSX was the fact that Ubuntu x64 (iirc) apparently had NFS compiled
*as a kernel module*...Just absolutely unnecessary, convoluted, and
dumb. Some might argue its an evolutionary step. I would argue that so
is growing an arm out of your butt. What matters is if the step makes
any sense.

Cheers,
Bowie