[Tfug] video card recommendations

Ranjan Grover ranjan.grover at gmail.com
Wed May 28 05:21:16 MST 2008

> What are your requirements?  If you want to do 3D gaming, the best
> choice is Nvida with their non-free drivers (but, of course, they have
> their own problems such as not being available for the latest distros,
> you being beholden to Nvdia, tainting the kernel, etc).  If you want
> something that is foss and "just works," go with Intel.

I don't do 3D gaming, so chances are I'll be perfectly content with
Intel integrated graphics. My experience with restricted graphics
drivers has been pretty bad in the past so I hesitate to go down that
road again.

> Does your motherboard have on-board video/sound?  If that meets your
> needs, I'd just go with that.

I have on-board sound and wireless that works out of the box on this
mobo. There is an equivalent board from ASUS which has on board
sound/video (Intel GMA 3100) which is now sounding like a better deal.
I can always add a PCI wireless card for wifi.

Now if I can only find a motherboard which has wifi/on board intel
graphics and sound.