[Tfug] Any recommendations for address management?

Glen Pfeiffer glen at thepfeiffers.net
Mon May 19 09:17:04 MST 2008

On Fri May 16, 2008 at 12:28:11PM -0700, Claude Rubinson wrote:
> On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 09:20:31AM -0700, Glen Pfeiffer wrote:
> > True, but I like the idea of keeping everything together. I mean
> > is there any reason why email addresses should be treated any
> > differently than other contact information? There are certain
> > types of email addresses, such as mailing lists, that make sense
> > to be treated differently.
>
> Ultimately, of course, what matters is what works best for you.  What
> I'm trying to say is that once I had lbdb/fetchaddr managing my email
> addresses for me, I discovered that, for my purposes, mailing
> addresses were best managed elsewhere.

Understood and noted. My question, though it sounded rhetorical
was not intended that way. I hoping to learn. :-)

> > However, as with most of the changes I have made since coming to
> > Linux, it takes me time to change my thought processes. Maybe
> > after thinking about it I'll realize that 'of course you don't
> > need to store email addresses with the other contact
> > information'. But until then, I'll probably try out abook.
>
> lbdb can read from abook (and a bunch of other addressbook apps) as
> well.

Thanks for that! It's all setup now. There is one thing in
particular that I have not yet figured out, and that is how to
search on a particular field in abook. It seems that a
search/query only looks at email and name. I'd love to be able to
search on any field I specify.

--
Glen