[Tfug] Any recommendations for address management?

Choprboy choprboy at dakotacom.net
Thu May 15 15:22:47 MST 2008

On Thursday 15 May 2008 10:19, Glen Pfeiffer wrote:
> I've recently switched to Mutt for email and one thing I've not
> yet implemented is my email address book.
>
> I was using the Thunderbird/Icedove Address Book which allows for
> much more than just name and email address. I included things
> such as residential address, phone numbers, etc. I want to
> migrate all this data into another storage format that I can
> access from Mutt. LDAP seems to be the most obvious answer but I
> want to consider other options because I don't really like LDAP.
> I want a format that has a very stable future so I do not need to
> migrate this data again.
>
> Any recommendations?

The more "standard" heterogeneous address book exchange format these days is
vCard (similar to vCalendar/iCalendar for calendar information exchange).
Lots and lots of different programs support it, both import and export, and
it appears a number of different people have written script for Mutt to
import vCard information. vCard does allow arbitrary storage field headers
X-, just like email headers, so it would just be a matter of undating the
Mutt scripts to parse and import your arbitrary information to the correct
spot.

Adrian