[Tfug] Dilemma: Qwest or Comcast?

Matt Jacob m at mattjacob.com
Sun May 4 22:17:48 MST 2008

Let me start by saying that I currently have Cox, and I've been
extremely pleased with their service over the past year. I've heard
horrendous things about Cox's customer support, but thankfully, I
haven't had to deal with them since the initial phone call to activate
service. Unfortunately, I'll be moving further north in less than a
month, and that puts me outside of Cox's service area. Which brings me
to my dilemma...

Should I go with Qwest DSL or Comcast Cable? I've had Comcast in the
past for about 3-4 years, and I was never thrilled with their service.
I'm even less thrilled now that they're supposedly doing QoS filtering
against BitTorrent traffic. (I don't use BitTorrent myself, but I don't
like the principle of what Comcast is doing.)

I like the idea of having my own dedicated line with Qwest, but their
fastest plan will end up being more expensive than Comcast since I don't
have a telephone package with them. (And they also have goofy first-year
pricing that's about $10/mo. cheaper than usual, which seems exactly
like something Qwest would do.) The speed would be 5 mbps down and 894
kbps up, compared with Comcast's 7 mbps down and 384 kbps up (I think
those numbers are all correct).

So... less than stellar personal experience with Comcast, and I've heard
not-so-great things about Qwest. I'm kind of between a rock and a hard
place here.

What would YOU do?

Thanks,

Matt