[Tfug] marking up pdf documents

Claude Rubinson rubinson at u.arizona.edu
Wed Mar 26 19:10:56 MST 2008

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 06:44:43PM -0700, christopher wrote:

> > This might work for some uses but it seems pretty inflexible.  Unless
> > I'm missing something?
>
> Well, I've just marked up a pdf document with xournal, and
> it has an export function so I was able to effectively save
> the marked up pdf document to a new pdf document. I've opened
> it with xpdf, and the saves were preserved. So as of now,
> although it seems like xournal isn't intended for pdf
> annotation, it does do the job. And I would say better
> than the other alternatives so far. Try it. Let me know
> what you think. I'll report back after I do some studying
> tonight ~ Chris

After a quick review, I'm *really* impressed.  If you specify the PDF
file on the command line, it's automatically imported.  The app itself
feels much more "finished" than flpsed.  Exporting out to PDF loses
niceties like bookmarks (or whatever they're called) but that's not
important to me.

Please let us (me!) know about bugs, difficulties, or other uglies
that you run into.  But right now, I'm kinda in love and want to trade
in my venerable Thinkpad T40 for an X tablet (Lenovo's outlet store
has refurbed ones for just over $700 right now).

Claude